1869 - 1977 Ohio Soldiers' & Sailor's Ophans' Home
1978 - 1997 Ohio Veterans' Children's Home
In 1869, The Grand ARMY Of The Republic, established the Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Orphans' Home (OSSO) in Xenis, Ohio. in 1870; The Home was originally located in a rented building on Main St in Xenia. In 1869, Xenia residents provided The Grand ARMY Of The Republic with one hundred acres
of land to build a permanent facility. On August 25 1870 a procession of one hundred and twenty-four boys and girls made there way to the former Pelham fram, known as Poverty Knoll on the south side of Xenia. Originally, the home provided Ohio children with a place to live if there father was killed in The American Civil War or left with such disabilities as to prevent them from being able to care for their children. Eventually, the home was opened to orphans of all military conflicts and the children of
all veterans, including ones who had not died on the battlefield. In some cases, children had not
lost their parents but due to financial difficulties, a veteran and/or his spouse might leave their
children at the home in the care of the state of Ohio. Children at the home received a traditional
education, as well as training in various trades. They also received some military training.
Many children would later join the Armed Forces.
In 1978, The Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Orphans' Home (OSSO) became known as
The Ohio Veterans' Children's Home (OVCH). The home officially closed its doors to
incoming students in 1995 and completely closed in 1997.
In 1997, State of Ohio converted the state owned land of The OSSO/OVCH to the board of
commissioners of Greene County. In August 1999, Legacy Ministries International bought the land.
The grounds currently home Athletes In Action Headquarters, Legacy Village Retirement Community,
Legacy Memorial Garden, Heart To Honduras, and Legacy Christian Academy. Legacy Christian Academy
is formerly known as Xenia Christian Schools. The historic grounds has undergone renovations but many buildings stand. Each year the former children of the home known as the Association of Ex-Pupils (AXP) gather on the grounds for a reunion and christmas dinner. They have also established a
museum on the grounds.
The AXP is a union made up of past students, their family, and employees of
Ohio Soldiers' & Sailors' Orphans' Home/Ohio Veterans' Children's Home (OSSO/OVCH).
In July of 2016 the AXP opened its membership to community members.
There are several books written by former students with there stories of the home.
OSSO/OVCH AXP @ 2013